03 February 2011

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Random House
Published: Dec 8th 2009
Series: Fallen #1
Source: Own Copy

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

There is something about angels which has always fascinated me. I like the thought of angels being strong and powerful and not always good. Also the wings! Bearing this in mind I was very excited to get stuck into Fallen. Very quickly I felt that Lauren Kate had created a world for me to escape to and feel welcome in. The story seemed to take me by the hand and run along with me not allowing me to rest until I had come to the end.

I think what I like best about this was the likability of the main protagonist Luce. You felt you could understand her confusion as for most of the novel she is in the dark regarding the truth. For me this allowed me to accept whenever she complained or resented about being stuck in a reform school, I know I would be an absolute nightmare to be around in that situation. I also liked most of the other characters in the book, especially her close friends Penn and Arriane. My main complaint would have to be with Daniel, one of the hot, hot love interests. The difficulty I had relating to him was that I did not understand him enough for him to become a real rounded character in my head. I am hoping that the rest of the series of books will help to rectify this issue.

I enjoy most books based around the supernatural and for me Fallen did not disappoint. I am looking forward to the next rainy day for me to curl up and devour Torment, the second novel in this series of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment