29 January 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera

Title: Hooked
Author: Liz Fichera
Published: 31st January 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: eARC with thanks to NetGallet and Publisher

When Native American Fredericka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.
But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...
GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.
I am happy to put my hands up and state that I honestly know nothing more about golf, other than it's a good walk spoiled!! This did not hinder my reading of this book though. There were a couple of terms that I had no idea about, like eagle and birdy*, but this did not stand in the way of the story or decrease my enjoyment in any way.

Fred loves playing golf and was self taught on the course that her dad works at as a Gardener. When the school coach offers her a spot on the school team Fred accepts, unfortunately it means that Ryan's best friend is being kicked off the team to make space. Fred must now face the challenge of being the only girl on the team, and having feelings for one of her team-mates.

I seem to have been reading a number of books at the moment that have alternating narrators. It is pure coincidence  but this is another book with alternating voices. In this book this was a useful device, without having heard Ryan's thoughts his actions would seem really strange. Hearing the story from both sides allows us to properly see this story unfolding and how the characters develop and is less biased towards the views of one character.

I really enjoyed this book and thought the story was a compelling one. The Native American aspect also gave the story and additional layer and some interesting insights that added to my enjoyment of reading this. I love a good contemporary read and this ticked all the boxes for me, although it did not become unputdownable until I was into the second half of the book. I look forward seeing what Liz Fichera comes up with next!


* These may not even be the right golfing terms, they just sound right. I also know that my dad has told me what they mean in the past, but I forgot about 5 seconds after being told!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book. I started it on Saturday night and finished on Sunday morning! As for Eagle and Birdie, in case you're curious:

    Eagle -- Getting the ball into the hole by your second shot on a par 4 hole. (Meaning you have four shots to get it there.)

    Birdie -- Getting the ball into the hole by your second shot on a par 4 hole. (It can also be your 2nd shot on a par 3, or your 4th shot on a par 5.)

    I use to play Mario Golf with my grandpa. *laughs and shakes head*

    Great review, though. Glad to see lots of love going toward this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book as well! Amazing! Nice blog I am following you!
    http://b1skvitka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete