08 August 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Published: 14th December 2009
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Source: Own Kindle Copy

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love. - From Goodreads

I have been sitting on this review for a while as I was unsure just how to express my passion for this book. I picked it up off the back of lots of good reviews. Reading the back of the book it sounded like a teen version of Battle Royale which is right up my street. I love a story which is a fight for survival which is exactly what this book held and more. I actually can't wait for the film to be made and I keep pushing this book on everyone I know (and some people I don't know!!)!

Every year there is a draw in every district surrounding Capitol where 1 boy and 1 girl are chosen to fight to the death in a televised event called the Hunger Games. Unsurprisingly we find the lead character in this story, Katniss Everdeen, chosen to be the girl from her division. Katniss is everything you want from a heroine. She is headstrong, stubborn, smart and often questions herself.

The book feels like it is split into sections. The first being with her family in her district, then going through prep and training, and finally the games themselves. I dont' want to give too much away from the story as to me the whole book was a joy with new delights on every page. All I can say is that if you have not read this already, do it now!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you loved this too! And have you read the rest of the trilogy? As a warning: Book 3 is a bit different (and more emotionally difficult) than the first 2, but overall the series is very thought-provoking and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have read them all. It took ame 4 days of reading, but I couldn't put any of them down!!

    ReplyDelete