01 September 2011

What Has Happened to MTV?

So I love watching everything and anything. Recently I have noticed that there has been a number of programmes coming from MTV which have totally caught me off guard, mostly for good reasons too. So here are the ones I have enjoyed so far with a little bit about them -

1. Awkward.
MTV
The series is based around social outcast Jenna Hamilton who, following an accident that rumors misconstrue as a suicide attempt, starts being noticed by all the students at her school. By making changes and embracing her misfortune, she becomes well-known by her peers. While having to deal with a new, not-so-fun stigma, she still has to manage the daily drama that comes with being a teenager. - Wikipedia

From the first moment of watching this I loved it. This girl has a Juno-like wit, oh and I enjoy a good bit of backchat!! Always excited for the next episode to air!

2. Teen Wolf
MTV


The series revolves around social outcast Scott McCall, a young lacrosse-playing student at Beacon Hills High School. His life drastically changes when he is bitten by a werewolf one night. Upon discovery that he is a werewolf, with the help of his best friend, Stiles, and the mysterious werewolf, Derek, he is forced to learn to balance his newfound identity among the many dangers that it presents with his teenage life. He must keep his loved ones safe and balance the relationships he shares with each person around him. The theme of finding your place is a prevalent undertone in the series that is mirrored by the pack mentality of werewolves. - Wikipedia
OK so I didn't love this and tended to watch the episodes only when I had nothing else, but after watching each episode I thought to myself "ohhh... that was good!"

3. Death Valley
MTV
A year ago, vampires, werewolves and zombies mysteriously descended upon the streets of California's San Fernando Valley. Death Valley is the dark comedy that follows the cops that capture the monsters, and the camera crew that captures the cops.

Follow the horrific yet comedic exploits of the newly formed Undead Task Force (UTF), a division of the LAPD created to combat the emergence of monsters in the San Fernando Valley. Death Valley showcases the outrageous and courageous men and women working the toughest beat in the US: Death Valley.
Oh my God I was not expecting this!! It actually made me laugh out loud a number of times AND put my laptop down so I could give it my full attention! There was a moment towards the end of the 20 minutes with a werewolf which I found sooo funny - in fact I am laughing again thinking about it! My only problem with this show was that it was only 20 minutes long, I wanted more.

4. I Just Want My Pants Back
MTV
Jason Strider and his friends grapple with dating, sex, and surviving as adults. They care more about hanging with each other, going to bars and hooking up than their entry level jobs, but when a one night stand steals Jason's heart and his pants, he begins a quest to get his beloved jeans back - and hopefully the girl - while growing up along the way.- MTV
This felt like it was trying a bit too hard to be cool, like it was trying to emulate "Skins - The After Collage Years". It mildly entertained me for 20 mins so I will give it another go and see if it can do better next time.

I can't wait to see what else the team at MTV come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment