11 December 2011

Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: 1st October 2007
Source: Own Copy

I am a beast.
A beast!
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly. - From Goodreads
So from reading my past reviews of books such as The Lying Game and The Secret Circle, it should come as no surprise that when I saw there was a movie coming out for Beastly I wanted to read the book. I thought the trailer looked great and (I am truly ashamed when I say this) I thought this was the book of the movie (I know I'm hanging my head in shame) and grabbed a copy. Now it was stupid of me to think that the movie came first, but what I got was a richly woven tale of magic and romance.

It is a story we all know, beauty and the beast. Kyle is popular, vain and a total ass. Everything is all about him and these are the morals his father has instilled in him, to get ahead you have to be attractive. So when the unusual looking Kendra asks Kyle to the school dance he decides to make a bit of an example from her by standing her up in front of everyone and waling in with someone else. But Kendra is a witch and gets her revenge later on that evening. She turns him into a Beast. Over the next 2 years Kyle has to find true love. He is also banished to a house with only a housekeeper and a tutor by his father.

OMG I loved this book so much. I thought the film was good, but there were some important parts which were changed from the book to film. At the start of the book Kendra appears as a tubby unattractive girl, but this is just what she is portraying to Kyle, she is actually quite an attractive witch who we learn has made quite a few mistakes in her past. Kyle and Kendra can communicate with each other through a magic looking glass.

Kendra was one of my favourite characters. I thought she brought some humour to the role, worrying about messing up again and making mistakes. There were other snapshots of humour peppered through this book with short chapters of conversations going on in an internet chat-room. The conversation is between other mystical creatures like a frog / prince and a mermaid.

In the film the very pretty Alex Pettyfer is made to be bald with weird tattoos and scars all over him, however in the book Kyle is a proper Beast. Hair, claws and all. I think this is more of a challenge and made his reclusiveness seem to make more sense.

I loved this book. I loved it so much I felt like I wanted to slow down my reading of it towards the end so that I made it spin out just a little more. There was little mystery in the story as we all know what happens in Beauty and the Beast, but this made little difference to me. This tale was worked with such enchanting magic that I can't wait to read Bewitched which will focus on some of the other spells Kendra has cast and the fallout!

No comments:

Post a Comment