11 December 2012

Review: Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Published: 11th January 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Series: Across the Universe #1
Source: Kindle Copy

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming. - From Goodreads
In my experience it tends to be a bit hit and miss with sci-fi books. I either love them or I hate them and give up halfway through the book because I am totally lost. I love a bit of sci-fi when it is done well and I have always had a bit of a fascination with space, so I was hoping that this book would tick all the boxes for me. It did! It was definitely a sci-fi book, being set on a spacecraft, but it did not push reality too far.

Amy and her family are being frozen as cargo on the Spaceship Godspeed. The plan is to awaken in 300 years when they land on a new planet. A problem comes when Amy wakes with 50 years left on her journey. Soon Amy begins to realise that it was no mistake she woke early and things are not as they seem on the ship Godspeed.

I really liked all the main characters in this book, including doc. I was clear to see that Amy was struggling to hold herself together in this new life, but that she was a strong character and really enjoyable to read. I thought all of the other characters such as Harley and Orion were interesting to read and kept me on my toes.

Beth Revis created an amazing world on board the Godspeed. This amazing world was described enough to give me a very clear picture of what was going on in my head as I read. This story kept me reading. I found it really hard to put this book down to eat or go to the bathroom because I had to know what was going to happen next. This was a whole new society built into a spaceship which means that there are new rules and new ways to get things done. This is something I really enjoy and paired with all the twists and turns Amy encountered, this made for a great book.

This is the first in a trilogy, if the next two books manage to keep up the wonder and suspense then I am sure I will speed through them.

1 comment:

  1. I found this one hard to put down too. I devoured it in a couple of days I think. I hope the next two are just as good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete