19 March 2013

TV Heaven: Friday Night Lights

I may have mentioned before that I watch a bit of TV. In the collection of shows that I love I have a few that I will come back to time and time again. Some of these shows have now finished (or have been cancelled - sob) however I want to share them with you and let you know why I think they are the best.

Note: My lovely friend Jayne recently asked me to suggest some shows for her and her husband to watch and I devised some handy descriptive categories to give her an overview which I will use.

So I had some friends over for dinner the other night and while I was cooking (before they arrived) I decided to put some Friday Night Lights on the TV. When the girls turned up I was hurt that they had to ask what I was watching and neither of them had ever seen any Friday Night Lights, and didn't even know about it! What is this world coming to? Have I been spending too much time on Forever Young Adult and agreeing with their assessments of both Coach Taylor and Tami Taylor and daydreaming about living in Dillon, Texas? So y'all without further delay...



Friday Night Lights
Genre: Sports Drama (But it's so not about the sports!)
Girly: Not especially
Set in High School: Yes
Hot Guys: Yes (There is someone for every taste. Hello Coach Taylor)
Mystery of the week format: No
Currently running: No (There are 5 glorious seasons)
Status: Amazing, I wish it had gone on forever.
When was it on: 2006 - 2011

Why you should watch it:
Primarily this revolves around the Dillon Panthers. This is the high school football team in the town of Dillon Texas. BUT IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT FOOTBALL!! This series starts with Coach Eric Taylor becoming head coach of the Dillon Panthers and how this affects his family and the town itself. Coach Taylor and his lovely wife Tami Taylor are the central characters that the programme revolves around, and they are amazingly awesome, but with a whole team of football players to follow there is loads going on every episode, with a whole bunch of awesome people.

I may have a major soft spot for the coach and his wife, but I'm not blind to the other amazing characters that get their fair share of screen time. I love every single one of the characters and I felt like I shared their highs and lows as the season progressed. Even if the character is extremely flawed and messing things up left right and centre, I love them.

The whole series to me feels like being welcomed into some really good gossip with a friend who has great hair, drinks loads of wine and either starts or ends every sentence with y'all! (I really miss Tami Taylor!)


Who You May Know:
Coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) - Oh how I wish I was Coach Taylor's wife. Coach Taylor is the High School football Coach in Dillon, Texas, a town obsessed by football. He is an amazing character who manages to navigate the politics of the boosters and at the same time be the father figure that some of his players need. He is an amazing man and I worship him! Also, did you all see how great he was in Grey's Anatomy?


Tami Taylor (Connie Britton) - Tami is Coach Talor's wife, which is a job in itself. Tami has to lean to navigate the responsibilities put on her in this role. Later on in the series Tami becomes the school counsellor, which she is perfect for. This is the start of her finding her own path and we begin to see later on that she just wants to be her own woman. We are behind you Tami! Most recently she has been singing her heart out as Rayna James on Nashville.


And the rest...
Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) - Tim, bless your heart. You are never going to set the world on fire, but you always have the best intentions. Last I saw of the lovely Tim, he was in a submarine movie I did not go and see!

Jason Street (Scott Porter) - Scott Porter is currently on Hart of Dixie as the lovely George. Anyone who does not love Jason Street is a monster with a heart of stone. One of the richest characters, we follow Jason through the issues he has following on from his accident.

Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford) - My sweet Matt. He is the reason I fell so hard for Friday Night Lights. He is pure and sweet and I love him. I think he was recently in The Mob Doctor. I did not love that!

Lyla Garrity (Minka Kelly) - The goody goody of the bunch, Lyla just wants to grow up to be the wife of the star football player. I clapped for glee in the cinema while I was watching 500 Days Of Summer and she came on at the end. I also enjoy her instagram presence!

Tyra Collette (Adrianne Palicki) - I am sad that Adrianne's version of Wonder Woman never took off as I would have watched it no matter how rubbish it was. Tyra was amazing. What she lacked in money or class, she made up for in attitude. I would have been so scared of Tyra while I was at school, but as an adult I am in awe.


So what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment