11 July 2011

Mondays Bite:Twilight Re-read Along Week 2 Discussion


This week's discussion is on chapters 6-10 in the Twilight re-read along and this week is hosted by the lovely Reading Housewives of Indiana, Jasmine and Jacinda. If you want to join in it is not too late to sign up at Greads or leave a comment below.

Moving swiftly on to this week's discussion points -

1. because we have to talk about it sometime - are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?  does that impact how you re-read the book?
I am firmly in the camp of Team Jacob. Looking back at all the books I have always found Jacob to be a much more identifiable and accessible compared to Edward. I think this is apparent in this book. I know that Edward eventually opens up to Bella but for me it is far too slow. Why choose the ice-man when you can have the toasty warm wolf?

2. Bella spends a lot of her time by herself in her room when she's not at school. what do you think this says about her as a character? can you relate to her introverted nature?
I may be a little biased with this question as I spent a lot of my time by myself in my room when I was younger (and still now whenever I get the chance!) So really I don't see this as anything too peculiar or unusual. I think this just shows that as a person she thinks things through and possibly more selective of her friends. I completely relate.

3. probably my favorite chapter of the entire book, chapter eight brings us dress shopping, nearly getting assaulted, and then wraps up nicely with a quaint dinner and confession time. in this we see the blend of typical teenage existence starting to get tainted by the paranormal world. if given the choice right then, would you push to know more about the paranormal, or bury your head in the sand and live the teenage dream?
I am pretty sure I would want to know everything I could if someone told me a nice juicy secret about themselves. Even when things are weird, freaky and or gross I can't help but to pick at something until I know everything. In this case especially I would need to keep asking questions and nagging until I felt I had pulled out as much of the secret I could.

4. already, it's pretty clear that Bella is falling for Edward. is this happening too quickly to be plausible, or is it totally reasonable to you? what about Edward do you find to be swoonworthy at this point?
I find it plausible that she could fall quickly for Edward. As I mentioned in discussion point 2 above I think Bella being an introverted person means that she is more selective in who she becomes close to. I think that being so selective means that she really connects to someone when she chooses to. 
For me, even though as a person I like to think I am strong and can take care of myself, the most swoonworthy moment is when Edward swoops in to save her when she is being attacked. I think most girls enjoy the thought of being rescued by the white knight and I am definitely one of them.

5. Jessica has to forcibly remove all of the details on what's going on from Bella, but through that we learn more about how she's feeling and how she's falling for Edward already. if you were in Jessica's shoes, what would you say to Bella?
I like to listen. I find that especially with my friends showing a little excitement is all that is required to get all of the information, so I am not sure what I would say. Probably just tell her to spit it out and keep pestering until I get the gossip goodies!


So what are your thoughts on the discussion points above? Fell free to weigh in or disagree with me in the comments below.


Next week the discussion will be lead by The Secret Life of an Avid Reader looking at chapters 11-15. The questions up for discussion are - 


1. Do you think the name "Twilight" for this book is fitting with the story? Do you think a better name could have been chosen? What about the series and the names as a whole?

2. On this re-read, what’s your favorite part of the book? Is it the vampires, setting, plot, characters, Edward, or something else?

3. Edward shows his stalkerish/controlling tendencies during these chapters for the first time (at least Bella is aware), did this bother you the first time you read Twilight? Does it bother you now that you’re re-reading it? Should Bella be more worried about it?

4. Do you find yourself, during or after reading another paranormal/supernatural book, comparing it to Twilight? If you do, why do you think that is? Is it because it’s popular or because it’s just a book that makes an impact?

5. Bella is introduced to the Cullen Family in chapter 15, who is your favorite Cullen and why?


3 comments:

  1. i TOTALLY agree with you re: Team Jacob. seriously, he is so easy-going and obviously likes Bella and is awesome and adorable and fantastic. i'm all about being the chase-ee, not the chaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES TEAM JACOB ALL THE WAY. :) We three have to stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Team Jacob is the best. i am surprised that there are not more of us!! Team Jacob high fives all round!

    ReplyDelete