29 July 2011

Mondays Bite:Twilight Re-read Along Week 3 Discussion


OK so I have totally fallen behind in my Twilight re-read along so I will answer the 10 questions in one sweep. Questions for chapters 11-15 are hosted by The Secret Life of an Avid Reader and questions for chapters 16-20 are hosted by the Reading Housewives of Indiana, Jasmine and Jacinda. If you want to join in it is not too late to sign up at Greads or leave a comment below.

Chapter 11-15 questions

1. Do you think the name "Twilight" for this book is fitting with the story? Do you think a better name could have been chosen? What about the series and the names as a whole?
I like the name twilight and the thinking behind it. I like that all of the book titles were thought about to be symbolic of the theme of the story.

2. On this re-read, what’s your favorite part of the book? Is it the vampires, setting, plot, characters, Edward, or something else?
On this re-read of the books i have really enjoyed the characters the most. I think having read the book a "few" times and having watched the film a "few" times, I like watching the progression of the characters and thinking about the motivation behind everyone's actions.

3. Edward shows his stalkerish/controlling tendencies during these chapters for the first time (at least Bella is aware), did this bother you the first time you read Twilight? Does it bother you now that you’re re-reading it? Should Bella be more worried about it?
Ehhh... even on the first reading of this book I was a little worried about the stalker tendencies from Edward "I watch you while you sleep"!!! You would think that after 70 years he would know that this is just not socially acceptable! I do think if he had been a bit less full on then things may have been less dramatic!

4. Do you find yourself, during or after reading another paranormal/supernatural book, comparing it to Twilight? If you do, why do you think that is? Is it because it’s popular or because it’s just a book that makes an impact?
I rarely compare any other book to Twilight. On occasion I have thought that there have been similarities with plot, characters or location (especially Starcrossed!) but most of the time I try to judge a book on its own merits.

5. Bella is introduced to the Cullen Family in chapter 15, who is your favorite Cullen and why?
Alice has always been my favorite. I think she is the one I relate to the best.

Chapter 16-20 questions

SERIOUS QUESTION If you where in Carlisle position, do you think you would have been able to fight off your vampiric urges? Would you ever bring someone into that life, as he did with Edward and Esme
I would want to try and give someone back some kind of life if I could. I think I am a fairly strong person who will stick to something once I have made up my mind, but not sure if I could be strong enough to control vampiric urges!!

FUN QUESTION We are introduced to Edward's playful side in these chapters, before he gets all manic about the new vampires, I think we have a better picture of who he is. If you had to describe him in 5 words, what would they be? Good and Bad qualities, whatever you like!
old-fashioned, protective, clever, needy and (at times) funny

LONG QUESTION While re-reading I have been taking notes: observations that I have come across re-reading and comparisons to the movie. One of my notes deals with page 383, in which Edward screams at Alice there is no other option. The first time around I didn't get that he meant the future that Alice saw for Bella as a vampire (because we obviously hadn't gotten to that part), but now that I know the whole story I see that is what he meant... Has this happened to you? Do you have any examples of things that are clearer now or things that you have realized while re-reading?
I feel the same as the question. There are a few things that after reading the series and Midnight Sun make me think ahhhh... now it makes more sense. In particular it was the bit mentioned above. I remember this confusing me a bit and I think if I am right it is mentioned in the film also and I didn't get it then either.

PERSONAL QUESTION We haven't talked about this yet, but I think the idea of your human gifts amplifying in your vampire life is interesting (Jasper's control of emotions, Edward's mind reading), what do you think your gifts would be?
I think I would have a couple of gifts. I would have some extra special listening skills, I feel I am quite good at listening to people when they have problems and giving good advice. I think I would also have some kind of heightened problem solving skills, that would come in very handy in my work!!
SURVEY QUESTION We are coming to the end of the book, what has been your opinion on this re-read? First, when was the last time you read it? Second, do you feel you like it more, the same, or less this time around?
If I am being completely honest I loved this less this time round. I am sill a big fan of the book which sparked my love YA books however after seeing all of the different stories out there it gave me the perspective to see, that even though this is a good book, there are better out there.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment below.

Next week will be the last installment covering chapters 21-24 and the epilogue. The discussion points will be:

1. In chapter 21 James calls Bella telling her he has her mother and the only way he won't kill her is if Bella comes alone. What would you do in that situation? Come alone or tell Alice and Jasper?

2. Was everyone else as shocked as I was when I first found out about the Alice/James situation? Do you think this adds to the story line or was it not needed? Why do you think they choose not to include these
details in the movie?

3. Edward had to do something extremely difficult in order to save Bella from becoming a vampire. Have you ever had a similar situation in your life where you had to push your will power to its limits?

4. Bella and Edward get into the "to change Bella or not to change Bella" argument in the hospital. If you were Bella, would you want to become a vampire? Why or why not?

5. Twilight ends with everyone going to the prom. Did you go to your prom? Was your experience similar to Bella's? Feel free to include pictures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment