30 July 2011

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Published: 5th May 2009
Series: Summer 1
Source: Own Copy

Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along. - From Goodreads

OH MY GOD!!! Next time I need a good cry I will pick up either this book or "It's Not Summer Without You" and I will re-read them and weep! Belly, Isabelle, has always spent summers with the Fisher family in their beach house. Susannah Fisher is like a second mother to Belly and both Conrad and Jeremiah treat Belly like an annoying little sister, that is until this year.


This book gives the appearance of being a light-hearted girly romance - but don't be fooled!! This is a touching story of growing up, extended family and first love. It deals with some honest and real situations in a lovely way and I could completely relate to secretly pining over the "close family friend" (although if you ask my mother it was not so much of a secret!!) For me, Belly became such a real and well rounded character to me so that when she was happy, I was happy and when she was sad, I weeped!!


If you are looking for a YA book which is more than a book about a teen crush then I would turn you around, march you to the nearest bookshop and order you buy a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment