28 July 2011

Review: Jessica Darling 1 and 2 by Megan McCafferty

Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Published: 28th August 2001
Series: Jessica Darling 1
Source: Own Copy

From Goodreads: “My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”
When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?


Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Published: 22nd April 2003
Series: Jessica Darling 2
Source: Own Copy

From Goodreads: “Knowing that I’ve just done something that will take decades off my parents’ lives with worry, you’ll excuse me for not getting into the fa-la-la-la-la Yuletide spirit this year. . . . The only difference between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2000 is that I don’t have a visit from Hope to look forward to. And Bethany has already packed on some major fetal flab. Oh, and now Gladdie doesn’t need to ask a bizillion questions about my boyfriend, because she’s already gotten the dirt from you know who.”
Jessica Darling is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time, the hyperobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica, but her best friend, Hope, still lives in another state, and she can’t seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica’s parents won’t get off her butt about choosing a college, and her sister Bethany’s pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.

Review:This a 2 for 1 review special! I started reading the Jessica Darling series on holiday and read both Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings back to back. I loved these books so much. Not so much of a quest type story than a chronicling of Jessica Darling over the course of a year after her best friend moves to the other side of the country.

The characters are all lovable and I am sure I'm not alone in wishing I had had my own Marcus Flutie growing up!! I think that everyone will be able to relate to these books in some way as they really are a coming of age book for the normal teenage girl!

Now I can't wait to see what Jecssica's next few years will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment